Lost admin access in Pligg after running Killspam?

When activated, the Pligg spam module disables the ‘spammer’, sets the user account to ‘spammer’ and I think it also changes the password. Been my experience anyway. Every once in a while this activity can Killspam the admin or ‘God’ level account. You probably missed the admin username in the confirmation box but I can’t swear to that happening either.

What I’ve done in the past is: Get into the user portion of the database, re-enable the user, set the user to admin (or god in 1.2.2 and earlier versions) and double check that the email address is a ‘known good’ working address. Save your changes and login from a second browser window. If you get a ‘bad password’ response on this attempt, just use the ‘forgot password mechanism’ to the ‘known good email address’ and follow the directions in the email.

Optionally, You can setup a new user account then get back into the database as above but set the new user to admin ((or god in 1.2.2 and earlier versions). You won’t need to set anything else in the database but the user level with this method and once you’re in you can fix the old user.

Further Discussion:

You may have noticed that in the above I didn’t call the user table ‘pligg_users’ either. That’s something that only works if you set the database table prefix to the default ‘pligg_’ during install or upgrades.

Some of my Pligg installs don’t use that as they run several Pliggs in one database or are running under Multi-Pligg. I figured I’d better mention that before someone calls me out on it or it confuses someone.